02-25-2015, 01:50 PM
Its just six months to go to the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) - Civil service examination 2015. Candidates hoping appear for IAS must know 5 important things necessary for civil services examination.
Eligibility criteria for a candidate to apply for UPSC IAS exams are:
A citizen of India: the candidate seeking IAS shall be a citizen of India. Candidates from Nepal, Bhutan, Tibetan refugees and immigrants of Indian origin must send a certificate are eligible issued by Government of India, as a proof of his eligibility.
Age: 21 to 32 years; It is the upper age limit for SC, ST, OBC, physically disabled candidates and ex-servicemen.
Degree: The candidate must have a degree from some of Indian universities or equivalent qualification from a recognized university. Candidates who have appeared or will appear for qualifying exams and awaiting the results are also eligible to appear for preliminary examination.
2. exam pattern
Preliminary examination will consist of two objective type (multiple choice questions) paper.
Paper General Studies (2 hours)
Paper II - aptitude test (2 hours)
The question papers (test booklets) will be available in both languages, English and Hindi.
For both writing and marking answers in OMR sheet (answer sheet), candidates use black ballpoint pen only. Use of pens with any other color should be banned. Use pencil or ink would not be allowed. Blind candidates would be allowed 20 minutes time for each paper.
3. examination syllabus
Candidates preparing appear for UPSC IAS preliminary exam in 2015 should be familiar with the syllabus for preliminary examination.
IAS preliminary exam consists of two documents; Paper I and II. Time duration and syllabus for IAS prelims are as follows:
Paper I - General Studies
Duration: 2 hours
Current events of national and international importance
History India and Indian national movement
Indian and world geography - physical, social, economic geography of India and the world
Indian polity and Governance - Constitution, political system, Panchayati Raj, public policy, rights, issues, etc.
Economic and social development sustainable development, poverty, inclusion, demographics, social sector input, etc.
General problems on environmental ecology, biodiversity and climate change - that do not require subject specialization
Paper II - Civil services aptitude test (CSAT)
Duration: 2 hours
Interpersonal skills including communication skills
Logical reasoning and analytical ability
Decision making and problem solving
General mental ability
Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc. - Class X level)
Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficient etc. - Class X level)
English reading comprehension skills (Class X level)
4. IAS preliminary exam preparation tips
1. Look through twice before exam: Plan your studies carefully. Sufficient time should be kept for audit. Both general studies and safety revised atleast twice a week before the exam.
2. focus on ecology, environment, art and culture: a large number of questions come from ecology, environment and arts & culture. These areas should be prepared in detail from the best available sources.
3. solve mock test papers: candidates should attend mock tests and solving year papers. This will increase the accuracy and speed considerably. It also helps to pick out the most suitable option in the exam.
4. Get your basics clear: altered pattern, stress is more about the concept clarity instead of just mugging up data. Prelims 2015 is still six months away. candidates must use good time to understand the basics.
5. candidates from non-MBA and non-engineering background should spend plenty of time in preparing for CSAT paper as it has more weightage and becomes a game-changer to remove the preliminary round.
Candidates from MBA and technical background should not be sloppy CSAT paper CSAT paper is quite different in approach and content of the MBA examination.
5. Key Dates
Name of examination Date of notification Last date for receipt of applications Date of commencement of exam Duration of exam
Civil Services (Preliminary) Exam, 2015 16 May, 2015 June 12, 2015
23 August 2015 1 day